The Rosalind Franklin Institute (the Franklin) is a new national Research Centre, funded by the UK government through UK Research and Innovation, dedicated to bringing about transformative changes in life science through interdisciplinary research and technology.
The Rosalind Franklin Institute is working in close collaboration with FEI and Diamond Light Source to deliver next generation of equipment dedicated to a fully integrated pipeline for electron tomography. Every step of the pipeline represents in itself an improvement to the actual workflow and therefore will require a talented and dedicated scientist. The aim of this role is to develop scientific projects using the beyond-state-of-the-art equipment that the Franklin will gradually develop, providing to the scientific community game changing technologies and methodologies.
The role is available on a 3 years’ fixed term contract in the first instance, on a full-time basis.
• develop new sample preparation procedures from cell to tissue
• develop the next generation of focus-ion beam milling machine
• acquire data using state of the art and beyond state of the art equipment
• PhD in structural biology, cell biology or equivalent
• Excellent knowledge of sample preparation for cryo-EM
• Excellent knowledge of tomography including data acquisition, processing and interpretation.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to effectively and frequently report on progress
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
• Experience of working in BSL2 laboratory
• Knowledge of correlative microscopy
• 25 days annual leave
• Generous pension scheme (employer’s contribution currently up to 18%)
• Training and development opportunities for staff at all levels
• Bus pass discount scheme
• Access to employee discount platform
• Subsidised canteen
• Free on-site parking
• Campus location in beautiful countryside with social and sports clubs open to staff
Closing date: 14 April 2020, 9:00am
For more information and to apply for this role, click here.