Cryo-electron microscopy scientist, NeCEN
Leiden University, Leiden, Netherlands
Application deadline: 15 Sep 2019
NeCEN is looking for a highly talented scientist preferably experienced in cryo-electron microscopy who would like to contribute to the performance of an advanced cryo-EM centre at a world-class level.
You will maintain optimal equipment performance and collect high-quality data as part of a team. You will be primarily responsible for sample loading, alignment, and data acquisition on the two Titan Krios microscopes, a Talos L120C TEM and an Aquilos Cryo-FIB to prepare cryo-lamellae for tomography. Additionally, EM scientists at NeCEN are offered to perform collaborative research and technical development (approx. 20% of the time) to help ensure NeCEN remains at the forefront of electron microscopy.
Key responsibilities include:
- Together with the other EM scientists, take care of the advanced cryo-EM microscope equipment with their ancillaries;
- Ship, prepare, and load samples, align/tune microscopes prior to data collection, setup and oversee image acquisition, and evaluate data quality;
- Communicate experimental details to users, assist with data analysis in the context of collaborative projects and write experimental methods for resulting publications;
- Maintain ancillary equipment (cryo-plunger, glow discharger, etc.) and occasionally order consumables;
- Explore and implement improved data-collection strategies, including testing new software and hardware;
- Maintain accurate logs to monitor microscope performance, experimental conditions, usage, scheduling, and billing;
- Consult with other cryo-EM experts in the region and internationally by participating in cryo-EM meetings and workshops;
- Write clear documentation, establish facility procedures, and perform light administrative duties;
- Willingness to occasionally work evenings and/or weekends to ensure maximal use of microscopes.
For more information and to apply, click here.