Description: We are looking for a technically oriented candidate (engineer, physicist, mathematician, computer scientist….) to work in the development and design of Scipion, a java-based workflow-approach image processing framework for 3D Electron Microscopy. The candidate will lead a small team, around 3-4 software developers.
Background:INSTRUCT is the European Strategic Initiative in the area of Structural Biology (www.instruct-fp7.eu). It is organized around 5 Core Centers and a similar number of Associated Centers. During 2009 the Biocomputing Unit (BCU) of the CNB-CSIC won the international competition to become the "INSTRUCT Center for Image Processing in Biology", starting its operation during 2010 and providing the context for this opening of positions. The BCU is well known in the area of three dimensional electron microscopy, with over 150 publications in the area, including public domains suites of programs and very popular image processing methods. The I2PC is focused in the development of a large range of services for the structural-biologist community, such as 3DEMbenchmark (http://i2pc.cnb.csic.es/3dembenchmark/), Scipion (http://scipion.cnb.csic.es/) or Pepper (http://biocomp.cnb.csic.es/das/PeppeR/).
- BS and MS in Computer Science, engineer, physicist, mathematician or equivalent degree
- Sound knowledge on Java and J2EE
- Java Swing knowledge.
- Experience in Python, Shell scripting or similar languages.
- Experience in GNU Linux OS
- Experience in XML-based technologies, including XML Schema and XSD.
- Experience working on WS (REST and SOAP)
- Experience in JPA, Hibernate or Ibatis
- Medium level of proficiency in written and spoken English
· Skills in management and leadership
· Ontologies and the semantic Web
· Workflow engines Technical experience (BPMN, BPEL, etc.)
· General background on electron microscopy
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations.
· Extent and relevance of experience in the analysis of technical and scientific information, technical specifications, documentation, as well as planning, implementing and coordinating IT development activities.