A postdoctoral position is available immediately in the laboratory of Dr. Alessio Ciulli to work on a project funded by the BBSRC. We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated post-doctoral scientist to join a team of researchers broadly interested in Chemical & Structural Biology of Protein-Protein Interactions (PPIs).
We are interested in unveiling the molecular basis underpinning selectivity of small-molecule probes targeting epigenetic domains which read histone post-translational modifications. You will investigate structure-function relationships within an epigenetic protein family containing bromodomains that are found in histone acetyl transferases and other chromatin-associated protein complexes involved in the regulation of gene expression. The ultimate goal of the research is to aid elucidation of the roles of individual bromodomains in human biology and disease. The project will combine protein expression, purification and crystallization, structure solution by X-ray crystallography, and structural and biophysical techniques to study protein-ligand interactions and determine structure-activity relationships, and is in collaboration with the Structural Genomics Consortium of Oxford University.
The ideal candidate will posses or be able to demonstrate the following:
• A PhD with outstanding academic track record and at least one first authored publication in an internationally recognized peer-reviewed journal (published or in press)
• Strong background in protein purification and crystallography, X-ray data collection (in-house and at synchrotrons), structure solution and model refinement
• Experience with biophysical techniques studying protein-ligand interactions; a strong interest in fragment-based / structure-based drug design and experience with NMR spectroscopy would be advantageous
• Enthusiasm for Science
• Capable of working in a team, but able to plan and work independently
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills and knowledge of the English language are essential
To apply and more information available here