Postdoctoral Position - Cryo-ET of viral transcription-translation coupling
CEITEC - Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Application deadline: 30 Sep 2020
CEITEC is a scientific centre in the fields of life sciences, advanced materials and technologies whose aim is to establish itself as a recognized centre for basic as well as applied research. CEITEC offers a state-of-the-art infrastructure and great conditions to employ excellent researchers.
The institute values diversity and promotes an inclusive working environment with the aim to support the best scientists. CEITEC MU is a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission.
A postdoc position is available in newly established Demo lab (CEITEC, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic) to participate in research focused on structural mechanisms of transcription-translation coupling in bacteria and potentially in virus-infected mammalian cells. The ideal candidate will have expertise in molecular biology, biochemistry and virology, specifically in the field of dsDNA viruses and virus-infected mammalian cells (to produce the viruses) and with expertise in single-particle electron microscopy and cryo-electron tomography. Research will be conducted at CEITEC located in the life science campus of Masaryk University, Brno, Bohunice.
- PhD in virology/biochemistry or structural biology.
- Excellent knowledge of cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET).
- At least 3 years of work experience in preparation of samples for in vivo cryo-ET imaging and analysis of single-particle cryo-EM images and cryo-ET tomograms.
- Published in impactful journals in the field, corresponding to given stage of career demonstrating creativity and scientific quality
- Good English language – spoken and written
Desirable but not required:
- Motivated person with collaborative mind set
- Willingness to engage in the life of academic community
- other, e.g. knowledge of particular techniques in given field
- Interesting position in a dynamically expanding research institute
- An attractive salary and benefits package
- Background of a recognised and successful institution with supportive and international working environment
- Environment promoting interdisciplinarity and intersectorality of research
- In house core facilities
- Support of administrative departments (including grant office service)
- Support with the relocation process (welcome office service)
- 6 weeks of paid holiday
Anticipated start date: Negotiable
Applications including CV, contacts for referees and a brief motivation letter should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please quote the “Postdoc – viral transcription-translation coupling” in the subject.
Electronic application deadline is: 30 September 2020
Information about Brno, Czech Republic
- The capital of South Moravian Region and the second largest city in the Czech Republic with a population of almost 400,000 people
- Modern, dynamic and fast growing centre of industry, trade, science, research and innovation with business incubators and centres of excellence in science
- A city of universities with more than 86,000 students
- More than 10,000 researchers; 2,200 IF publications/year; 600+ PhD graduates/year,
- 500 mil. EUR of R&D investment per year, more than 350 companies with in-house R&D,
- City of Gregor Mendel, the founder of genetics; the prestigious Mendel Lectures series takes place in Brno since 2003 (lectures of the world´s top scientists, including Nobel Prize winners),
- Quality of life index in 2016
Find out more about: