Laboratory Technician supporting a research program against Corona virus infection
Paul Scherrer Institute, Villigen, Switzerland
Application deadline: 17 Apr 2020
The Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI) is seeking a highly motivated laboratory technician to produce recombinantly proteins from Sars-Cov-2 and other Corona viruses to enable drug discovery projects in a multidisciplinary team.
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team with internal and external partners to develop new methods and protocols for the production of viral proteins from SARS-CoV-2 and other Corona viruses
- Cloning of SARS-CoV-2 and other Corona viruses genes for recombinant expression of proteins in mammalian cells
- Preparation of purified protein samples for biophysical and structural studies at PSI, as well for other research institutions and hospitals
- Purification of membrane proteins using chromatography methods (affinity, ion exchange and size exclusion chromatography)
- Monitoring of protein quality and purity using fluorescence-size exclusion chromatography and SDS-PAGE
- Prepare and present experimental results to all stakeholders of the project
- Support other SARS-CoV-2 at the institute
- Specifics/special working conditions
- Occasional work in a BS3-Level laboratory at collaborative research institutions
- Applicants should preferably have at minimum an apprenticeship education or equivalent (B.Sc.) or a M.S. degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, biotechnology or a related discipline
- Proven prior hands-on experience with protein expression, purification as well as standard protein analytical techniques is expected. Previous experience with membrane protein biochemistry is a strong plus
- Excellent personal task management, communication and networking skills as well as a high level of self-motivation
- Fluency in English is essential
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a fixed-term position. The employment contract will (initially) be limited to 2 years.
For more information and to apply for this role, click here.